“Best Known Landmark In Jersey City”
Visible for miles out of the New York harbor and Brooklyn waterfront, the Colgate Clock that stands on the edge of Jersey City’s river waterfront has kept time for more than 70 years.
Originally the clock was situated on the rooftop of the giant soap company Colgate-Palmolive in 1924. However, the soap factory closed its doors at the Jersey City factory in 1989, to which the clock was relocated to ground level at the edge of the Hudson River waterfront.
The company also decided to keep the clock as a landmark and a part of the waterfront redevelopment project. This clock has not only been symbolic, but it has also regulated the lives of thousands of people who have visited and seen it from New Jersey and lower Manhattan.